- Security TWENTY
- Women in Security
FireQual, the specialist Awarding Body for the fire protection sector, now has qualifications that act as eligibility criteria for the FESS (Fire, Emergency and Security Systems) Systems Operative Card in Fire as part of the ECS Card Scheme.
The Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS), administered by the Joint Industry Board for the Electrotechnical Industry, is a CSCS Partner Scheme covering the electrotechnical sector and includes more than 175,000 valid registrations. ECS is the sole ID and competence scheme for the electrotechnical industry and shows an individual’s qualification status, main electrical occupation, identity, and health and safety awareness to work within the sector. One of the cards available via ECS is the FESS Systems Operative Card. ECS states “The ECS Fire, Emergency and Security Systems (FESS) Systems Operative card is for people working in the FESS industry as a specialist installer or maintainer of FESS systems.”
FireQual, as the specialist Awarding Body for fire and related sectors, has been working in the background to gain recognition of its qualifications within the ECS Card Scheme and announces that its Fire Detection and Fire Alarm qualifications have now gained approval by the ECS Steering Committee.
Those wishing to apply for the FESS Systems Operative Card in Fire can now do so after completing one of these FireQual Awards:
– in Fundamentals of the Recommendations for Fire Detection and Fire Alarm Systems in Domestic Buildings at SCQF Level 6, or
– in Fundamentals of the Recommendations for Fire Detection and Fire Alarm Systems in Non-Domestic Buildings at SCQF Level 6, or
– in Fire Detection and Alarm Commissioning Theory and Regulatory Requirements at SCQF Level 6
Or, a combination of these FireQual Award is acceptable to be able to submit an application:
– Award in Fire Detection and Alarm Installation Theory and Regulatory Requirements at SCQF Level 6 and FireQual Award in Fire Detection and Alarm Maintenance Theory and Regulatory Requirements at SCQF Level 6, or
– Award in Fire Detection and Alarm Design Theory and Regulatory Requirements at SCQF Level 6 and FireQual Award in Fire Detection and Alarm Maintenance Theory and Regulatory Requirements at SCQF Level 6
Nic Preston, Director of Qualifications – FireQual, said: “It is excellent to see FireQual qualifications gaining recognition as quality evidence of a person’s individual knowledge and expertise. ECS and the JIB have acknowledged the robust nature of these regulated qualifications, offering a credible source of understanding for individuals to work on life safety systems in the fire sector.”
And Andy Reakes, Head of Growth at the JIB, said: “After great scrutiny it is apparent that these FireQual qualifications offer the right assurances of an individual’s understanding of the fire detection and fire alarm systems by mapping into the industry approved standard for this occupation. The FESS structure was brought about through the collaborative work of the FESS Employer Group, FIA, FSA, BSIA, SSAIB and SELECT and this is another aspect of that work to strengthen the industry recognition of these occupations. The JIB is pleased to see these FireQual qualifications approved as meeting the standard for the FESS Systems Operative Card in Fire to give greater industry recognition to the value of formalised qualifications and training in a safety critical role.”