- Security TWENTY
- Women in Security
The Police and Security Group Initiative (PaS) has launched a best practice guide to collaboration. The group’s aim; to help the police and private security industry to work together to a common purpose.
The ten step guide covers the considerations for a partnership, from identifying the challenge and desired outcomes, to implementation, review cycle and legacy.
PaS was launched in 2014 to improve collaboration and trust between the private sector and the police, building on work for the London Olympics.
Brett Lovegrove, Chief Executive of the City Security and Resilience Network and Effective Collaboration Working Group Lead, says: “This best practice guide brings both the private security industry and law enforcement agencies together to collaborate in the most effective way possible. It suggests the adoption of the most basic steps in order to create lasting partnerships aimed at crime reduction in local areas. The guide provides the initial steps upon which to build collaborative success.”
The steps outlined in the guide are:
1. The Challenge – identifying a shared understanding between police and security of the problem and identifying the desired outcomes.
2. The Partnership – establishing the relationship architecture and identifying the local stakeholders.
3. The Plan – sourcing appropriate resources / sponsorship and planning the best joint methods and tactics.
4. Ownership and Leadership – defining project leaders on both the police and security side.
5. Community Engagement – engaging and communicating with the local community.
6. Implementation – agreeing action plan and defining roles and responsibilities.
7. Review Cycle – is the challenge still relevant, are the milestones and objectives being met.
8. Promoting Achievements – identifying who needs to know about the project’s achievements and communicating the success to them.
9. Knowing When to Stop – establishing whether the crime has been displaced elsewhere or whether new risks have arisen and deciding if the initiative should continue.
10. The Legacy – sustaining the positive outcomes and sharing best practice or learning from the initiative.
Case studies of partnerships between the police and private security industry will be added to the guide to show outcomes.
The guide can be downloaded from the BSIA’s website: http://www.bsia.co.uk/about-us/partnerships/police-security-initiative/pas-effective-collaboration#.